Dr. Aishath Muneeza
Academic Committee Member
Dr. Aishath Muneeza, is recognized in the Islamica 500 as an influential personality in the discipline of Islamic economics. A professor and Associate Dean at the Global University of Islamic Finance, a university within INCEIF University in Malaysia, Dr. Muneeza holds an LLB (HONS), LLM (Banking) and PhD in law from International Islamic University of Malaysia.
Dr. Muneeza’s accomplishments are too numerous to mention. Suffice it to say that in addition to the numerous articles and books which she has published, there are an equal number of She has national and international awards for her unabated effort in creating a full-fledge Islamic finance industry in Maldives.
Dr. Muneeza’s other achievements include:
- Served as the first female Deputy Minister of Ministry of Islamic Affairs in Maldives
- Deputy Minister of Ministry of Finance and Treasury in Maldives
- Head of Islamic Finance of Capital Market Development Authority of Maldives
- Member of Islamic Fiqh Academy (National Fatawa Council of Maldives)
- First chairman of Hajj pilgrimage fund, Maldives Hajj Corporation Limited
- Chairman of Maldives Center for Islamic Finance Limited
- Islamic Finance consultant- developed the first Shariah compliant Islamic microfinance scheme offered in Maldives
- Shariah Advisor- structured all the corporate sukuks offered in Maldives
- Shariah Adviser-structured the private sukuk and Islamic treasury instruments for the government of Maldives
- Consultant- drafted the Islamic capital market legal framework for the country.
- Registered Shariah Adviser with the Capital Market Development Authority of Maldives
- Registered Shariah Adviser at Securities Commission Malaysia
- Chairman of apex Shariah Advisory Council of Capital Market Development
- Board member of Shariah Committee of CIMB Islamic, Malaysia and Munich Re.
- Elected executive member of Bar Council of Maldives
- Public Interest Monitoring Consultative Committee (PIMCC) of Accounting and Auditing Organization for Islamic Financial Institutions (AAOIFI)
- Chairman of Apex Shariah Advisory Council of Capital Market Development Authority of Maldives
The following are just some of Dr. Muneeza's awards
- 2010- Kuala Lumpur Islamic Finance Forum (KLIFF)- first place essay competition.
- 2012- IIUM Research Invention and Innovation Exhibition- Gold Medal
- 2013- IIUM Research Invention and Innovation Exhibition- Silver Medal
- 2018- Rehendhi Award, Outstanding service to develop Islamic Finance
- 2018-2022- Womani Award for Top 50 Most Influential Women in Islamic Business and Finance